Sunday, August 10, 2014

Fondant to Phonics

One of the scariest things I've ever done was to start my own baking company.  I didn't go to culinary school; I didn't go to business school.  But my husband asked me,  "Don't you love to bake?  Isn't it also a great creative outlet for you?  Isn't there a big demand for this type of thing in our community, that would sustain your business?"  So I took the plunge and I never could have imagined the success I've been blessed to achieve.  And it allowed me to be home with my babies, which was what I wanted all along underneath it all.

But when my husband and I started talking about the idea of homeschooling our 6 kids, I was terrified.  "I'm not a teacher; my degree isn't even in Education," I insisted.  To which Mr. Smarty Pants replied, "You love spending time with the kids, right?  You know what they're each passionate about, where they excel, and where they struggle, right?  You know that you can teach them twice as much in half the time, right?"  Right.  Right.  Right.  And right.  I hate it when he's THAT right.

In both cases, it was something I had always wanted to do, but was too afraid.  I needed someone to push me out of my comfort zone and tell me I could do it.

So this is me taking the plunge and counting on God's grace to lead me.   He loaned me these 6 amazing kids to raise, so presumably He thinks I am equipped for the job.   Hopefully when people read this blog, see our struggles and successes, they'll have the confidence to dive in too.  Here's to trading fondant for phonics, ganache for geography, and pie for pi.   For the good of my baker's half-dozen of kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment